Tuesday, February 3, 2015


I’ve never blogged before in my life.  I’ve thought about it.  I thought I should blog about my life and what I’ve endured.  I was thinking I could help someone with what I have experienced.  Then I thought I might write about a hobby of mine.  I could to that.  But maybe I should write how I have gone back to school later in life.  All in all, I haven’t a clue what I’m doing. 

                In my opinion no one truly knows what they are doing.  Especially me.    I started back to school at 25 years old to finish my associates I had started when I was 18 year old.  I tried to get out in the work force in the direction my education pointed me in however, companies want you to have a bachelor’s degree.  It seems as though associates degrees are as common as a high school diploma.  So after much deliberation and my cousin being my biggest cheerleader I decided I should follow the masses to a four year college. 

I have to admit that each and every day I doubt that I should even be here.  I go through this self-doubt more evidently at the beginning of each semester: I’m too old, I can’t keep up, I have learning issues, I’m not good enough, etc.  The list goes on.  But I find satisfaction that I am going forward with my education.  After all an education is the best asset anyone can have.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are persevering. I identify with a lot with what you've written, you're not alone. Keep moving forward, sometimes that is all we can do and it ends up making all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great that you made that decision for yourself to go back to school! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are honest about not knowing exactly what to write about, and what went through your mind writing this. It makes it much more personal. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to what you are going through going back to school, I know I can. keep plugging away and it will all be worth it

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm too old" "I can't keep up"...I admire your candor. But if all that is is a product of age then you're not alone. I'll be 32 in a week, and I'm not without my insecurities. I started school at 19, and quit. Again at 20...and quit. Again at 24...quit. And I started and quit a couple more times before UNH-M. If anything, my age, and the number of times I've quit is the reason I need to make this time work. So let's hang in there. I think we'll be glad we did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you had your cousin as a cheerleader through the difficult decisions you had to make about what to do with (and for) your education. A support system is crucial and unfortunately, not everyone has it, or has it without understanding the importance of it and how it can help you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you had your cousin as a cheerleader through the difficult decisions you had to make about what to do with (and for) your education. A support system is crucial and unfortunately, not everyone has it, or has it without understanding the importance of it and how it can help you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you had your cousin as a cheerleader through the difficult decisions you had to make about what to do with (and for) your education. A support system is crucial and unfortunately, not everyone has it, or has it without understanding the importance of it and how it can help you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for the triple posting....I apparently still don't know what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep on keeping on! I've only taken a year off at a time and it's already daunting enough trying to imagine continuing my education straight through until the end. One day at a time, one class at a time, one semester at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really admire your strength to come back to school! Not many people do it and it really is inspiring to see someone come back and continue. I personally don't know if I would have the courage or motivation to come back to school if I took time off, which is something I want to do, but I'm worried I wouldn't have the drive to continue so to see someone have that motivation is awesome. I really like your truthfulness and I know you can do it! Keep working and you will achieve your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel that you are never too old to go back to school, that's why I love UNHM. I like that I can meet people from different backgrounds and age groups because we can all learn something new from each other

    ReplyDelete